Thursday, November 16, 2006

And so winter begins

The rains have hardly stopped in the past several days. It is getting colder every day. The Afghan soldiers huddle with their hands in their pockets and heads tucked into their shirts. It seems that it is going to be a cold winter.

I received a package from my Godmother earlier this week. A loaf of her famous Zuchinni bread, wrapped so tightly in foil and ziplocks that it was still very moist. I shared half of it with my office mates, the rest I brought down to the "Five Story" our word for the Afghan National Army Headqarters of KMTC and shared it with the soldiers and officers of the G-3 staff. They were delighted. It was nice to "break bread" with these men and to realize that we all share in each other's hospitality. Each day, I am served almonds and raisins, pistacchios and other snacks with the ever present Green Chai as we discuss our training plans and objectives.

In the words of my British counterpart, Maj. Tony Lancashire "We must'nt forget the importance of the Chai, Ahnald. It is about the only escape these blokes have from their daily druggery." Ah, Chai.

The snow is clear on the mountain tops surrounding Kabul. It will hopefully bring some peace to the fighting and some time to recover and prepare for the Spring, which we all anticipate will be a very difficult one. For now, a cup of tea to ward off the cold.

-out here

10 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Brrrr..... hang in in there!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Morris said...

I'm really enjoying reading your wonderful, beautifully written blog. Thank you for the time and effort you spend on it

6:26 PM  
Blogger Jane Miller said...

MAJ Strong, thank you for sharing such an important story with us... and thank you for the many sacrifices you and your family are making.
Our family will remember you and yours in a special way this Thanksgiving. God bless you all! :)

4:44 AM  
Blogger peanut said...

thank you for the wonderful blog that is wonderful that you have done this for us to see what all of you guys are going through... I hope that you are all well and hang in there..... Thanks

2:54 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I just found your blog as I was searching for information about Camp Phoenix. My brother is arriving there within 24 hours and I wanted to see and learn what I could about it. I have added your link to my book marks and will check to see what you have to say about it. Hopefully, my brother will be able to communicate with us regularly. Thanks for taking the time to write it and also for your sacrifice.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Youssef said...

Hang in there, Major.

We all hope for the best for you and for the Afghanis. They've suffered enough. Time for things to get better.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Arnold...GD 89-90 NYE? Is it you? Carried me all the way? Drop me a line brother, miss you tons and have never forgotten.
B.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Drill SGT, SFC said...

Drive on Sir! I will be there in late March, and am looking forward to contributing my part in the mission.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Merry Christmas Major and God bless and keep you.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Lieut. Col. Arnold Strong said...

Bobby, I have searched the Internet for your email address for over a month now. Drop me a line...my email address is listed in the profile. Yes, I have never forgotten. I know you are a Yogi in Hawaii...so very much you. I just found a streaming site with our show on it...Dark Star, Dear Mister Fantasy...my last show, the best.

Arns

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home