Monday, March 27, 2006

Training

Hooah! Training. Back from the M9 Range. Yesterday, I finally got out of the operations center and got to qualify on my assigned weapon, the Berreta 9mm Pistol. For the first time in a long time, I didn't shoot expert, but missed it by two shots. I had a ball doing it though. Marksmanship is one of the things that makes being a soldier fun. We finished the range about 21:00 (9 p.m.) last night. This morning we took the test that you can not study for, forced hydration through the night aids the process of the morning... "The Piss Test." the fun never stops in the ARMY. Hooah!

From there we immediately went to have a teleconference with our peers in Afghanistan. The unit we are replacing this summer now has a face. It was good to connect with them and to understand their view of the situation. Suffice it to say that I think we are going to do an extraordinary job over the course of the next fifteen months.

After that we took some mass training time during which we watched a series of video clips. It was footage of the preferred methods of the enemy, the infamous IED or Improvised Explosive Device. It reminded me of the losses with the Oregon National Guard and of my wife's work at commemorating the loss of 1,000, then a year later 2,000 servicemembers lives on the step of the Capitol of Oregon. It has been a difficult few years for so many.

Who do you know that has been touched by this war? I mean personally. Deployed their husband of wife to war for a year or more? Has lost a friend or relative? Had to deliver the news to a family of the loss of their son? How many of you have volunteered to help those people that are so directly impacted by this war? Offered to cut the lawn or help to do the food shopping?

I guess what I mean is that there are so many doing so much and yet so many more that are not asked to do anything. I think it is sad, as if the greatest nation in history has so many of her citizens that won't do anything unless directed to do so.

There are ways to make a difference. To help those you serve. To help those in harm's way. Ways to help the people of a foreign land to stand on their own two feet and build a nation for themselves. I'll write more about that next.

For now, I am way tired. I think I am going to call it a night.

-Out here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thinkfast4 said...

Hooah, backatacha. Spoke to Mitch Sherman of www.kwikpoint.com. He is sending you some pocket translators for Afghanistan and Iraq. Soldiers just point to a picture to ask questions like. "Where is the IED hiding?" Important. I am going to see if I can get some people to donate some money to buy a bunch of them for the soldiers and the people of Afganistan. Mitch giving us a cut rate price of $10 each and throwing a bunch in for free.

Am setting up a meeting with Crimson Trace and Leupold and Stevens. What we need is a running list of things that the soldiers need and the kids and families in Afghanistan. We will then ship the list out to our network of "Friends of 3." People can sign up for our newsletter -- which will include links to this blog and updates on our progress in raising supplies and what not -- at www.why3.com.

More later. God bless.

Than
than@why3.com
www.why3.com
www.tridentblog.blogspot.com

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home